Creamy Tofu and Chicken
A simple recipe for the "health" conscious. Eating Tofu don't do zilch for your figure.
9 tbsp butter (lol health), unsalted and low-fat (lol lowfat)
12 tbsp all-purpose flour
6 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
salt and pepper to taste
Chicken and Tofu:
2 boneless chicken breasts, diced (or thighs, but breasts are white meat)
1/4 cup butter (lol butter) unsalted and low-fat
1can mushrooms, drained and chopped (any mushroom will do)
3 firm tofu pieces, drained and cubed
1 can whole kernel of corn, drained
2 1/2 cups sharp low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
bacon bits, for topping (lol health)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375F
2. Make the sauce. Melt the butter in a skillet. When melted, whisk the flour until it forms a paste. This is called a ROUX. Add the milk in a fine stream, whisking continuously to avoid lumps, because lumps in a sauce are not good. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. For the chicken, get another skillet and melt the butter.
4. Add the chicken and lower the heat. Saute the chicken until cooked (no longer pink). Add the mushrooms in and saute them slightly. Set aside.
5. Get the prepared sauce and add the tofu, corn and chicken and mushroom mixture. Transfer to a a greased oven-safe pan. Top with cheese and bacon bits.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown.
7. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve warm.
This dish is awesome for a quick cheese and bacon fix.